POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Valid solution or evil hack? : Re: Valid solution or evil hack? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:13:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Valid solution or evil hack?
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 15 May 2008 13:40:35
Message: <482c7593$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> every 15 minutes. If they go outside a preset range, an alarm goes off.
> How much would *you* suggest such a system costs?

A freaking *lot* if it's calibrated so it can for sure measure up to
0,1C and not just show that way and the service contract includes yearly
(oslt) re-calibrations.

> Apparently all the suppliers we could find were charging 5 figures for
> something that will do what we want. Seems absurd to me, but... mission
> critical, gotta have one, gotta be up and running before date X...

Mission critical: you take 5 UPS's, 5 PC's, 5 sensors and wire them up
separately. If all five from even the cheapest hardware break down
simultaneously enough, you're having the worst luck of the world
already. OTOH, then you won't have A) service contract, B) scheduled
re-calibrations, C) calibration at the first place.

> Well, you'd hope so... but as I say, I wasn't really involved in the
> process. I believe the hardware was all much the same, so they went with
> the cheapest option from a supplier who could actually supply on time.

You weren't involved -> it's not your call -> you shouldn't stress about it.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net