POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Valid solution or evil hack? : Re: Valid solution or evil hack? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:11:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Valid solution or evil hack?
From: Darren New
Date: 15 May 2008 12:19:17
Message: <482c6285@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> but beyond that I don't see why it would need to cost more.

In the US, I'd say it's because if the device fails and all your blood
samples warm up and you lose $1M of revenue, you could reasonably expect
to sue the company that made the device to get your money back.

It's called "incidental damages" here.

If that's what you're paying for, then that's a big part of the price
difference. If the company doesn't warrant that the device will actually
work, then I couldn't say. Around here, a $20 thermometer is going to
have a warranty that says "If it breaks, you might be able to get your
$20 back, but that's about it."

> If it doesn't, it's a worthless piece of equipment. So... why the
> sticker?!

Liability control. If you can't tell when it's broken, and you overdose
someone because your mass spectrometer misread how much drug was in the
solution, it's much more expensive than if you (say) ruin an
experimental car engine by putting the wrong mix of fuel in it.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"