POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Valid solution or evil hack? : Re: Valid solution or evil hack? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Valid solution or evil hack?
From: Invisible
Date: 15 May 2008 08:51:38
Message: <482c31da$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

>> every 15 minutes. If they go outside a preset range, an alarm goes
>> off. How much would *you* suggest such a system costs?
>
> Depends on far more than just the raw technical performance.
>
> If I'm going to use it check the temperature in my greenhouse, I would
> imagine a 50 quid jobby from Maplins would do with some cheap hacked
> together Win3.1 program.  However, if I'm putting it in a manned
> spacecraft that is orbiting the moon, I would expect way higher
> performance, and an equally higher price.

Well, we'd like to check that the blood samples we're storing actually

about this fact, urgently.

I'm guessing a temparature sensor that actually *works* at temparatures
that low is going to cost a tad more than your average room thermometer,
but beyond that I don't see why it would need to cost more. It seems the
only reason for the higher price is that this is a critical device, so
the suppliers know they can charge the Earth and we will pay it. We have to.

> BTW, the stuff we make here, we always have to put on the 1st page of
> the specification that it is not to be used in anything critical, like
> plane instruments, hospital equipment, traffic signals etc, simply
> because we don't design or test to high enough standards.  If we did,
> the cost would be astronomical, for stuff like PC monitors you don't
> need that level of reliability so you get them very cheap.

The mass spectrometers we have here all say "for research and
development only; not for diagnostic procedures" on them. I can't
imagine why - it's a mass spectrometer! Either it measures masses
reliably, or it doesn't. If it does, you can use it for anything you
like. If it doesn't, it's a worthless piece of equipment. So... why the
sticker?!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/