POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Valid solution or evil hack? : Re: Valid solution or evil hack? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Valid solution or evil hack?
From: scott
Date: 15 May 2008 08:09:41
Message: <482c2805$1@news.povray.org>

> every 15 minutes. If they go outside a preset range, an alarm goes off.
> How much would *you* suggest such a system costs?

Depends on far more than just the raw technical performance.

If I'm going to use it check the temperature in my greenhouse, I would
imagine a 50 quid jobby from Maplins would do with some cheap hacked
together Win3.1 program.  However, if I'm putting it in a manned spacecraft
that is orbiting the moon, I would expect way higher performance, and an
equally higher price.

BTW, the stuff we make here, we always have to put on the 1st page of the
specification that it is not to be used in anything critical, like plane
instruments, hospital equipment, traffic signals etc, simply because we
don't design or test to high enough standards.  If we did, the cost would be
astronomical, for stuff like PC monitors you don't need that level of
reliability so you get them very cheap.