POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Valid solution or evil hack? : Re: Valid solution or evil hack? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:12:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Valid solution or evil hack?
From: Invisible
Date: 15 May 2008 07:54:19
Message: <482c246b$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Now if you write the words "mission critical" on it, suddenly the same

> Not really, I assume the hardware is of a much higher specification than
> some *really* cheap consumer version you could get for 20 quid.

every 15 minutes. If they go outside a preset range, an alarm goes off.
How much would *you* suggest such a system costs?

>> But hey, it's mission critical. What are you gonna do? You simply
>> *have* to have this thing, so basically you have to pay whatever they
>> charge you. Which is probably _why_ they charge you so much. ;-)
>
> Usually you have the option of other suppliers, so the price should be
> pretty competitive for what you're getting. Otherwise they would go out
> of business if everyone else could sell the same product for half the
> price.

Apparently all the suppliers we could find were charging 5 figures for
something that will do what we want. Seems absurd to me, but... mission
critical, gotta have one, gotta be up and running before date X...

> If you were about to spend 10k on something, would you blindly take the
> cheapest one without even bothering to see exactly what you were
> getting? Sadly a lot of companies do exactly this, often with much
> larger sums of money...

Well, you'd hope so... but as I say, I wasn't really involved in the
process. I believe the hardware was all much the same, so they went with
the cheapest option from a supplier who could actually supply on time.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/