POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Valid solution or evil hack? : Re: Valid solution or evil hack? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Valid solution or evil hack?
From: Invisible
Date: 15 May 2008 06:24:00
Message: <482c0f40@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Yeh, guess you don't want to be held responsible when it breaks for
> something mission critical, better to be able to pass the responsibility
> on (even if they haven't updated their software since Win3.1!).
>
> Still, you could encourage them to make some updates (like using USB
> instead of serial, and writing software for XP/Vista rather than
> Win3.1), or buy the system from a more up to date supplier that is less
> hacky.

Well now, if you want a couple of thermometers and a data logger,

it's mission critical. What are you gonna do? You simply *have* to have
this thing, so basically you have to pay whatever they charge you. Which
is probably _why_ they charge you so much. ;-)

I wasn't in any way involved in the purchase process, but I gather that
we were quoted tens of thousands of pounds by various parties, and we
eventually went with the lowest bidder. As far as I know...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/