POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : evil TV commercials : Re: evil TV commercials Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: evil TV commercials
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 15 May 2008 01:07:08
Message: <482bc4fc@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> My stepson went to a school for gifted ADD and highly-distractable
> students, many of whom were on various drugs for their conditions - and
> while I'm no MD, it was clear to me that many of them were just very
> active kids with parents who wanted their kids to be "less active".
> There probably was a percentage who actually *needed* the drug, but I
> wouldn't hesitate to say that all of them didn't need it - though I
> certainly wouldn't be the one to decide who got it and who didn't.
(grr, lost post half-written, no draft saved)

Kids are *always* hyperactive. And particularly annoying trying to always
get the attention of their parents (ever seen a kid repeating "mommy look
what I found!" until mommy looks, *literally* a hundred times if needed?).
The problem is with parents distinguishing when it's normal and when it's
really ADHD.

I guess my case is different because *I* notice *my* lack of attention. And
talk to friends about "do you ever get distracted with X" to see if it's
normal or my ADD. (*) I mean, sure, everyone gets distracted during a
boring class at school. But I could spend several minutes during an exam
playing around with the pen and thinking about *whatever*, without
even "remembering" I'm at an exam. I just "wake up" and "oh yeah I'm
halfway on an exam... where was I...". Or just anywhere else. Like spending
an hour on the *shower*, who knows how much time actually washing and how
much with my mind on the moon.

(*) at this point in writing this post, I spent like a whole hour reading
forums, completely forgetting I had this post half-written behind the
browser window.