POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Specs for df3- files : Re: Specs for df3- files Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Specs for df3- files
From: Chris B
Date: 14 May 2008 06:40:03
Message: <482ac183$1@news.povray.org>
"minzi0815" <mar### [at] eumetsatint> wrote in message
> Chris,
>
> As I am quite new in Povray, I have two more questions:
>
> The original plan was to make the values looking like a cloud. I think
> there
> should be a way to let povray generate clouds from the values.
>
> Also I'd like povray to differ the values ( currently random-numbers) by
> displaying them in different colors...

Hi Marcus,

Paul Bourke has a short tutorial on using DF3 files at
http://ozviz.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/modelling_rendering/df3/.

The settings he uses in his file 'example.pov' create more uniform,
cloud-like forms  than my example, even from quite small files (my example
set clearly defined edges to help illustrate the sequencing of the file).
His tutorial also seems to shows how to use color_maps to vary the colours
and how to get the media to cast shadows in a cloud-like way.

There are quite a few POV-Ray cloud tutorials and macros around that might
also be of interest to you.

Regards,
Chris B.