POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tracing an object through a soft-edged mask; or objects as airbrush 'spray' : Re: Tracing an object through a soft-edged mask; or objects as airbrush 'sp= Server Time
18 May 2024 12:06:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tracing an object through a soft-edged mask; or objects as airbrush 'sp=
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 May 2008 04:17:19
Message: <482aa00f@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> schreef in bericht
> "Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] povplacecom> wrote:
>> Cool, but you don't need the height_field, just use eval_pigment.  That
>> way,
>> you can use any pigment as a mask...
>
> ....and using it as a 3-D mask, which you outline in the code example,
> sounds
> REALLY intriguing! I'm guessing that such a technique will work because
> the
> pigment pattern is 3-D rather than 2-D (as in my original image_map
> example)?
> Wow. If so, then my limited little masking trick just took on a whole new
> dimension--literally!! Thanks for opening my eyes.

He he!! Yes, I suppose that might be an interesting development. I keep a
bit worried though about the 'out of memory' that I got with the
eval_pigment variation. Maybe it was just chance (I shall have to
investigate further). The slower parsing can be compensated in the end by
writing the found positions to a file and read them back later for
rendering.
I must say, Kenneth, that your little elegant height_field technique appeals
to me a lot and I shall use it a lot where it can easily substitute
eval_pigment.

Thomas