POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : evil TV commercials : Re: evil TV commercials Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: evil TV commercials
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 13 May 2008 23:35:02
Message: <482a5de6$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 13 May 2008 09:17:57 -0700, stbenge wrote:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> And lo on Tue, 13 May 2008 10:58:06 +0100, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
>> did spake, saying:

>>>   I was just wondering why should this be of any interest to us.
>>
>> What, you mean you're not interested in Duloxetine? How can you not be
>> interested in Duloxetine? Isn't everyone interested and talking about
>> Duloxetine? What the hell is Duloxetine anyway?
>
> "Duloxetine is a SNRI (selective serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake
> inhibitor)." ..."a drug which is indicated for major depressive
> disorder"
>
> Has it not occurred to you that AQ might actually be warning you, so you
> won't take a harmful drug in the future? You aren't judging a man by his
>   style of information dispensation, are you?
>
> SSRI/SNRIs are *not* the wonder drugs the pharmaceuticals would have you
> think they are. I've experienced SSRI-induced psychosis myself, although
> I'll admit I was wrongly diagnosed at the time. Simple precaution could
> have saved me a lot of trouble, a vehicle, a driver's license, and six
> months.
>
> Here's something I picked up from Googling. I'm sure there are plenty
> more like it:
> http://www.drugawareness.org/Archives/Miscellaneous/MRadmissions.html
>
>> And what the heck has this got to do with TV commercials evil or
>> otherwise?
>
> Obviously the TV commercials are giving people the idea that they can
> take SSRI/SNRIs for nearly any problem causing anxiety or depression. If
> the 8% figure given by that article I linked to has any truth to it,
> society could be heading for disaster at any given moment, should a
> trigger occur...
>
> Sam

There was an article just recently, http://medicine.plosjournals.org/
perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.0050045 that
did a meta-analysis on previous drug studies. The findings were that
SSRIs were not any more effective then placebos in mild to moderately
depressed patients. It makes sense, since placebos do have a greater
effect on subjective symptoms then on objective ones, and depression
still seems to be a subjective reaction to chemicals.

I don't agree with AQ that all of the SSRIs are toxic, but they are just
too widely over prescribed for things that don't require heavy chemical
treatment. They aren't the wonder drugs that the media viewing public is
being told that they are.