POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question about C++ : A question about C++ Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:18 EDT (-0400)
  A question about C++
From: Darren New
Date: 13 May 2008 15:33:53
Message: <4829ed21$1@news.povray.org>
How do you pronounce "cout << 5" in english? If you were to read that
statement over the phone to someone, what would you say? Obviously not
"cout logical-shift-left 5".  Would you really say "count
operator-less-than-less-than five"?

Incidentally, I think C# does a good job of unifying the benefits of
printf-style formating with the benefits of C++-style formatting. Of
course, it means that everything you want to print actually has to be an
object and you have to be able to look up routines at runtime, so it has
an efficiency aspect compared to the C++ method. But there's actually a
number of layers of formatting control going on there, all of which the
user can override in particular classes as well as doing the
"cout << hex() << 29" sort of per-class custom formatting controls.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"