POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question about Java generics (not a flame) : Re: A question about Java generics (not a flame) Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question about Java generics (not a flame)
From: Darren New
Date: 9 May 2008 16:45:28
Message: <4824b7e8$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> So... it's Turing-complete?

Yep.  I saw a turing machine emulator written as templates, with a
series of error messages from the compiler tracing the path through the
state changes.

In any case, generics are a subset of templates. It's entirely possible
to think that generics are a good idea and that templates are a bad way
to implement them. For example, you have to parse and compile the
templates each time from source, and you get a new blob of code for each
type you instantiate a template with. Both of these are a bad idea when
you're trying to make a system where you can distribute object code
without source for generics, or you want to instantiate a generic at
runtime with some other class you just loaded.

Now, "crippled" is what I'd call the baroque C++ syntax. I mean, really,
folks, can't we accept that languages that aren't C don't need to avoid
C special characters in new syntax? :-) What's with this "::" for
namespaces in Tcl and <<>> for generics in Java? Ugly, guys, uUUUuugly!

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"