POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question about Java generics (not a flame) : Re: A question about Java generics (not a flame) Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:16:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question about Java generics (not a flame)
From: Darren New
Date: 9 May 2008 16:38:04
Message: <4824b62c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Yeah, but that's only possible in languages with weak typing (I think
> that's the term?)

"Dynamic typing" is the term you're looking for - expressions have
types, but not variables.
"Static typing" being the alternative, where variables have types.

"Weak typing" is when type operations aren't enforced, like in C.
"Strong typing" is when type operations are enforced, like Java.

You can have strong typing that's also dynamic typing, like Smalltalk or
Lisp or Erlang, or static typing that's weak like in C, or static typing
that's strong like (say) Haskell (as I understand it), or dynamic typing
that's weak (like Forth or assembler).

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"