POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Specs for df3- files : Re: Specs for df3- files Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Specs for df3- files
From: Chris B
Date: 8 May 2008 04:07:49
Message: <4822b4d5$1@news.povray.org>
"minzi0815" <mar### [at] eumetsatint> wrote in message
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>> minzi0815 <mar### [at] eumetsatint> wrote:
>> > i am looking for a detailed specification of df3 - files in the web for
>> > a few
>> > days now - without success yet. Can someone give me a hint ? Thank you
>> > in
>> > advance !
>>
>>   Did you try the official documentation?
>>
>> http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/374/
>>
>> --
>>                                                           - Warp
> I did, but this is not a detailed spec really ...

Hi Marcus,

It seems to me to be almost complete. It doesn't seem to indicate the
sequencing of the data block, so I'd assume that the first block of data
would be used for the first row of values in X etc.  If my assumption is
correct then (in Hex):

0002 0003 0004 0F A5 ... followed by another 22 bytes of data, would give
you a 2x3x4 8-bit media density pattern with the first value '0F' (15)
being the density at <0,0,0> and the second value of A5 (165) being the
density at <1,0,0>, the third data value would be used for <0,0.5,0> etc.
until it fills in a 2x3x4 block from <0,0,0> to <1,1,1>. If you wanted a
16-bit file you'd have 2 bytes per voxel, so you'd need another 46 bytes of
data.

Is this any help?
Otherwise could you add a few words about what you're trying to do or where
you need additional detail?

Regards,
Chris B.