POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Everything Sucks : Re: Everything Sucks Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:12:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Everything Sucks
From: stbenge
Date: 7 May 2008 20:46:14
Message: <48224d56@news.povray.org>
Halbert wrote:
>> My heart and prayers go out to you both. I hope she understands the
>> importance of knowing her condition, and keeps a closer watch on it in the
>> future. How long will she be away, if you don't mind my asking?
>>
>> Sam
>
> You seem to be in better spirits. I hope that continues.

Thanks; I do as well.

> She should probably be out this fall but technically they could keep her for
> about four more years; the trouble she got into was rather serious. I'm sure
> she understands about her condition. As you know it's not easy to live
> with-- sometimes even for family members. Let me know if you find any herbal
> remedies that work for you too.

Wow, fours years is a long time to be separated. I hope things turn out
well.

I could have spent 3-7 years in prison myself, had events not gone as
they had. As it turned out, the very head of the mental health board has
a son, who at the time, ran into the same kind of trouble I did. She
pushed for a greater awareness of metal health issues, and I ended up
spending only six months in jail. You could say her son (an old friend
of the family's) and myself actually helped spread mental health
awareness in this county.

As for an herbal remedy that works... I know of a couple. These work for
acute symptoms, mainly:

1) Kava-kava (piper methysticum) is good for leveling a mood. You have
to take a lot (10-28 grams powdered root), and it's not that great for
the liver. Preparation for me has involved mixing the bulk powder into a
mug of strong hot chocolate. It adds a distinct minty flavor to the
beverage. Effects are a general relaxation of body and reduced anxiety,
with a curious preservation of cognitive function (you can still think
clearly).

2) Nutmeg works wonders, and has effectively lifted my depression and/or
culled my mania many times. The benefit is seen for up to 1-5 days
following initial dosing. You have to take a lot (2-5 seeds), and this
may not be good for one's liver. Preparation for me involves grating the
seeds with a fine cheese grater and mixing the bulk powder into a glass
of cold milk. It must be consumed quickly, for the taste and texture are
*very* unpleasant. The effects are much like cannabis (which I can't
have and probably don't need), but without the paranoia and psychotic
aspects, at least IME. It takes 2-6 hours for full effects. There is a
'minty' feeling to the whole body, and orifices may become dry (with red
eyes), as nutmeg has a slight anticholinergic effect. There may be some
stimulation and/or relaxation, and brightening of the mood. Whenever I
take it I end up engaging in creative activities and body stretching,
and my previous mood is usually forgotten. There have been reports of
"nutmeg psychosis," although I, having never suffered from such,
recommend exercising caution with this substance. Many people find the
effects of nutmeg very uncomfortable, but when considering the possible
negative outcome of an acute manic event, this seed can be very
valuable. The unpleasant aspects usually prevent nutmeg from being
abused recreationally. I would recommend it first be taken as a low dose
once during a stable phase, to see if there is any adverse reaction to it.

Of course, I would advise that you first research these things before
having your wife try them experimentally. I don't want to be responsible
for worsening a condition with drugs that I tolerate well.

Sam