POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Everything Sucks : Re: Everything Sucks Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Everything Sucks
From: stbenge
Date: 7 May 2008 18:42:39
Message: <4822305f@news.povray.org>
Mike the Elder wrote:
> Hi Sam.  Sorry I've taken so long to reply, but I've just finished a move and am
> still mostly living out of boxes that still need to be unpacked.  My online time
> has been erratic and I just picked up on the fact that this was a "serious
> issue" thread.

Hi Mike,

> First, I'm very glad to hear that you are doing a bit better than when the
> thread began.

Thanks.

> Over the past few years, I've done a good bit of research into this topic for
> the sake of a long time friend who has had to deal with a similar situation.
> Here's a brief summary of what I've learned.
>
> The broad generalization that "Everyone on anti-depressants would be better off
> if they just stopped taking them and switched to natural remedies", is false
> and dangerously so.  This having been said, it is also true that many
> antidepressant drugs, especially SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Re-uptake
> Inhibitors) are over marketed and over prescribed to levels that make me wonder
> what kind of "medication" the medicators are on. (Just high on profits I guess.)

I agree with your statement. The pharmaceutical companies would like to
think that SSRIs are for everyone, but I think the true number is much
lower than they think. I've experienced plenty of bad reactions to that
class of drugs, and I do believe I've had all I can take.

SSRIs a dead-end for me; I must look elsewhere for chemical treatment.
If they'd approve a drug that could make a person feel comfortable with
themselves while providing conditions for enhanced internal reflection,
the field of psychotherapy would go a long way, I think.

> It may be a long and difficult search, but there ARE some doctors out there who
> still actually care about their patients' well-being and who are willing to
> work to find a total treatment approach where only the minimum necessary amount
> of pharmaceutical intervention, if any, is used.  I would recommend trying again
> and again as many times as necessary until you find one.

Well, I could call up Mental Health, to see what options they can give
me. They are a bit prescription-happy over there, though. I know some
people who have 8+ prescriptions, some of which, considering the
chemical makeup of the drug, may actually exacerbate their condition(s).
It's a little sloppy, if you ask me.

> These simple things work:
> (not as a replacement for medication, but as methods of supporting overall
> well-being whatever one's medication status might be)
>
> 1.  Ample amounts of CLEAN water. If you think your tap water is the least bit
> suspect, drink distilled or filtered water.

Our tap water has a slight taste of chlorine from time-to-time, but
overall I think it is safe to drink (the well is probably very clean and
not be far away, considering where I live).

> 2.  Maintain a REGULAR sleep schedule.  (MUCH easier said than done, I know) A
> regular circadian rhythm enhances numerous critical metabolic processes
> enormously.

Well, now there's a problem. I've been getting to bed between 1 and 3 AM
and waking up around noon lately.

> 3.  Forget complicated fad diets and just adopt a strict "no junk food" policy.
> (If you think it might be junk food, it IS.) If fatigue is an issue, drastically
> reducing or eliminating red meat in favor of other protein sources can be a big
> help. Replace "manufactured" food-like products with fresh produce to the
> greatest extent practical.

My diet's pretty good. We prepare all our meals around here. Not too
much red meat, lots of chicken, fresh bread based on a pizza dough
recipe. Not very much junk food at all (I've even stopping having these
annoying donut dreams).

> 4.  Unless some medical issue make this problematic, do the following about
> twice per day: Spend about ten minutes building up to an accelerated heart rate
> where you are breathing noticeably heavier than normal, but NOT gasping for
> breath.  Remain active enough to maintain this heart rate for an additional
> twenty to twenty-five minutes.  The best particular form of exercise is the one
> you most enjoy so you will actually DO it.

Ah yes, gotta get on that bike. My lungs are somewhat compromised,
thanks to these cigarettes I use for attitude maintenance :/ If I could
find an inexpensive, pure form of nicotine, that would be great.

> 5.  The results of serious studies on meditation are mixed. I'm pretty sure,
> however, that it helps me and I proffer my personal unscientific recommendation
> to give it a go if you're at all so inclined.

Ive never gotten far with meditation. Perhaps this is due to the fact
that I try when I'm laying down for the night, and end up sleeping
instead of getting much accomplished. If I could reach a state of
internal reflection similar to what I get with this certain OTC
substance, I would be well most of the time, I think.

> Given that my own "spiritual orientation" is that of a
> "Thank-God-I'm-an-Atheist" Eclectic Ironicist (basically, we believe that "true
> spirituality" - if there even *IS* such a thing - has much to do with treating
> other people decently and nothing to do with preaching at them), I'm probably
> profoundly unqualified to introduce this subject, BUT... statistically, many
> people who report having done well in their struggle against depression and
> anxiety credit support from a social group that shares their spiritual and/or
> philosophical outlook as being largely responsible for their success.

I know of such a community, and will most likely introduce myself to
them soon.

> Finally, I'm sure that you already know, despite our society's prejudices to the
> contrary, that depression is a medical condition that does not detract from the
> inherent worth of a sentient individual and more than does diabetes or asthma.
> I'll bet, however, that it doesn't hurt to hear someone else say it once in a
> while.

No, it doesn't hurt, and I've long since dug my heels into my resolve to
assert myself as an equally worthwhile human being, despite my currents.

> Please keep in touch.

Will do. Thanks MTE~

Sam