POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Everything Sucks : Re: Everything Sucks Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:16:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Everything Sucks
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 May 2008 15:00:29
Message: <4821fc4d$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 07 May 2008 20:05:30 +0200, Bruno Cabasson wrote:

> we do not know much of Sam's situation

This is a very important point, and one I think Halbert might've been
trying to make - when you said "Antidepressants are not the answer", it
sounded to me (though on a reread, I see that I read it differently than
you wrote it) that this might be taken as a kind of "diagnosis" or
"recommendation" to Sam.

It is very dangerous business providing medical diagnoses in an online
discussion forum, for the reason you said here - that we don't know the
situation.  We're not in a position to say anything other than
generalities, and it needs to be clear that that is the case.  The only
ones qualified to make a diagnosis are the professionals who are trained
to do so and who have had ample time to talk with the individual and
understand their situation *fully*.

Some *are* better at it than others, of course.  But I would hazard a
guess that the worst in the field would do a better job sitting down and
talking to the individual as compared to those of us sitting here at our
desks playing "armchair quarterback" to the profession.  Most of those in
the profession, BTW, would avoid mixing a friendship (even an online one)
with business - I know several people in the field, and (a) they would
never volunteer to treat anyone they knew personally, and (b) they
wouldn't maintain a friendship with their patients, because that can
create a really bad situation down the road.

My $0.02 - and Sam, FWIW, I hope things start looking up for you.

Jim