POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Help! : Re: Help! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:17:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help!
From: Darren New
Date: 2 May 2008 12:33:01
Message: <481b423d$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> You have been out for a while then. lol For example, the stargates have
> three prims that do things, at minimum, some have at least 6 others, and
> they do talk to each other "without" you hearing them chat at all.

Possibly. It's possible to "whisper" on a separate channel, but it's
also possible that anyone nearby can hear the whisper *if* they listen
on that channel. That might be how they're talking.

> sure the maximum speed thing is a problem any more either. I am not sure
> if error handling is possible yet, but there is a "script error" window,
> for when things fail.

Well, sure. That's unhelpful when you want the game to (say) show the
gun as overheating when it can't create new bullets or something.

> Each one, without whispering or showing visible
> text at all, will send data to a script, which then lights the panel for
> that, and if you have 6 lit and press the center button, it will attempt
> to "dial" that, again, talking to the gate, without you seeing anything
> at all, other than the gate saying, "Dialing SGC".

Probably talking over channels, of which there are 2^15 or something if
I remember. If you knew which it was using, you could probably overhear
it talking. Definitely not good for things like poker tables talking to
the cards and the pot.

 > Note, this is also,
> somehow, linked to a DB on Alpha Fox's website, which keeps track of
> active gates, so that when you dial the address, it knows where the gate
> in that "region" is, and can send the gates event horizon a "location".

Most likely email. Or at least that's all that was available last I
looked. That's also how you get information between components if
they're too far apart to hear each other talking.

> But the limitations you are talking about... Don't exist anymore.

OK.

> Hmm. Mind you, the communication between them "may" still be talking,
> but if so, its like channel -900000 or something, so, its hidden from
> view for anyone that can't "see" the channel in question.

That's what I mean. If you know the channel, you can hear it (which is
*bad* for a game where money is an actual component), and if the parts
are too far apart, suddenly you have to switch to an entirely new
communication mechanism. If you have a button at one side of the sim
that opens a door at the other side of the sim, you actually have to
talk via email between them, because you can't "shout" loud enough even
on a channel. Makes something like Jumpman difficult.

Plus, you have to listen for properly structured "sentences" and parse
them out to understand what to do.

> Mind you, however it "does" work, there must be some bugs. Tried to
> install a script to have the event horizon automatically give me a map
> link, so I could come "close" to what its supposed to do, but either the
> existing script in the object messed it up, or it just doesn't work
> right. :(

That was my other complaint. Plus, "community-supported wiki" is really
geek-speak for "we can't be bothered to document our system."

> override all of them. The only gripe I have is that it takes over your
> keys, so if you also wear one of the "flight assist" devices, which do
> the same, then clicking "release keys" to remover the assist also kills
> your animation overrides. Sigh...

Yeah. Stuff like that.

> You can now set an area to disallow flying, as well as preventing
> teleports.

You could do that before, but only if you actually own the land where
you set up the game.  And I realized the physics would make it
challenging, too, when someone decides they're really big or really
small, for exmaple.

> I think you would find that while there is a lot the same as you
> remember, there is a *lot* that is different too now.

I'm sure it has improved greatly, yes. Do I have time to keep up with
such things for fun?  Sadly not. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"