POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Error mesage : Re: Error mesage Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Error mesage
From: Invisible
Date: 2 May 2008 04:16:43
Message: <481acdeb$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> Hey Warp, what does it mean when you call printf() and the compiler says
>> "suspicious pointer conversion"?
>
>   Difficult to say without seeing the actual code.

OK, well obviously 10 years later I don't still have it. All I can
remember is that *loads* of people used to get this error. And it always
seemed to involve printf().

I also remember that several people found that when you run their
compiled program, it dumps many, many pages of gibberish to the console,
and beeps repeatedly, until [if you're lucky] it would randomly stop.
Presumably this is because you gave printf() an int when it was
expecting a char*, and it's now printing out the contents of the
machine's RAM until it happens upon a zero octet... (The deeps are due
to the 0x07 BEL characters.)

I presume this doesn't work on a protected-mode OS?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/