POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Error mesage : Re: Error mesage Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Error mesage
Date: 1 May 2008 20:11:53
Message: <481a5c49$1@news.povray.org>
news:481a22ae@news.povray.org...
> > [BTW, WTF is an *expected* error anyway??]

>   For example incorrect input, network connection problems, hardware
> failures (such as inability to read from disc), etc. etc.
>
>   Even seen eg. those 404 messages? That's an expected error which
> sometimes happens.

404 is not an error on the part of the server but a perfectly well defined
and normal response. If I ask you for a glass of wine and you tell me
there's no wine, that doesn't indiate an error on your part. An error would
be if you tell me "green" in response to the question "what colour is
wine?". One cannot even say it's an error on part of the client - it depends
on context. If the client is, say, purposefully sending a bunch of random or
semi random requests (maybe DOS attack), then it's not in error when
requesting nonexistant pages. Programmers call responses like 404 errors out
of sloppiness or laziness.