POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Help! : Re: Help! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:16:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help!
From: Darren New
Date: 1 May 2008 11:29:10
Message: <4819e1c6$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Well, they spent a lot more time thinking about how to get the data to
> and from the client and run sims on servers, than they did making the
> client work. I would have imho, done things more the other way around
> (or found someone that had a clue to work on the front end, while I
> worked on the back).

No question it's a difficult problem. Making a 3D world with physics
that you can have multiple players manipulating stuff they themselves
created and wrote the interaction code for? Awesome.

Business model where you're actually selling what costs you money and
enlisting the aid of people paying you to create more value? Awesome.

It's just really hard to program some sorts of things because you *have*
to deal with the physics, and their security model sucks. Everything is
independent once you create it - you can't have two parts of one object
communicate with each other except by actually talking out loud within
earshot of the other part. There's no simulation of "wiring" or "radio"
or anything (I know about the channels - not the same thing), and things
have to move by actually moving at some fixed maximum speed. Plus, as I
said, since they're independent, there's no good error recovery. You
can't, for example, make a button on a machine that changes a picture
from a plus sign to a circle when you push it and also causes some other
object to run a script without the player being able to overhear the two
items whispering back and forth.

Plus, to prevent abuse, they had to make it a PITA to affect any player
with any sorts of restrictions on what they could do. They should have
had a mode where you get prompted once "can I take over your character?"
If so, then the script can do whatever it needs until you issue some GUI
command like "take me home", at which point you go back to the state you
were in when you gave permission to the script. *Then* you could do cool
kinds of interactive fiction/story, rather than just having interactive
environments.

That's why the vast majority of everything interactive is either dance
balls or vending machines selling dance balls.

I wanted to build a jumpman type game, but there was no way to make it
work - no way to set the weight of the character, or keep them from
flying or setting teleport points, or etc.

Altho some of the costumes were really awesome. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"