POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Help with possible malware infestation : Re: Help with possible malware infestation Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:15:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with possible malware infestation
From: John VanSickle
Date: 29 Apr 2008 07:58:56
Message: <48170d80$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> If anybody here could help me with some advice, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Lately, I've been getting crashes when Windows starts*, and something has been
> interfering with my web browsing.
>
> Searching with Google or Yahoo never finishes** (it just loads the page for
> several minutes, and then quits).  Other functions of Google and Yahoo (ie,
> Google Webmaster Tools, or My Yahoo) work fine.
>
> Downloading files in Firefox gets interrupted (it asks me where to save the
> file, but never actually saves - or even begins downloading - it).  Downloading
> in IE sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't.
>
> I get random popup ads and new tabs opened in both IE7 and Firefox 2, most of
> them advertising antimalware software (which I've never heard of, and don't
> trust).
>
> I *do* have Safari installed (just to try it out), but I haven't tested for
> these symptoms in it yet.

Then try it, and see what comes up.

The symptom of unwanted windows and new tabs is a classic malware sign.
  I had an infection which would take me to certain sites at five minute
intervals.  If IE was not open at the time, the malware would start it.

A complete reinstall of WinXP got rid of the beastie.  A complete
install of Ubuntu probably would have gotten rid of it as well.

Regards,
John