POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I promised not to mock ... : Re: I promised not to mock ... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I promised not to mock ...
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 28 Apr 2008 16:58:26
Message: <48163a72$1@news.povray.org>

> Arguably one might blame Microsoft for the whole "hey, computers are
> easy now, you don't need to bother learning how to use them properly"
> mentallity.
>
> Once upon a time [and it was a LONG time ago], you had to have PhDs to
> even understand how to switch on a computer... Obviously, that's a tad
> too far in the other direction, but M$ does seem to spend a lot of time
> yelling "hey, if you use VB everything will magically work without
> effort". It makes people think they don't need to bother learning how to
> do things properly.

PHP too. Few people use prepared statements in PHP, they just
concatenate strings into a SQL statement. And that's why PHP has such
abominations as "magic quotes", to protect the developers against
themselves, annoy to hell people who know what they're doing, and get
backslashes all over your webpages.