POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Help with possible malware infestation : Re: Help with possible malware infestation Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with possible malware infestation
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Apr 2008 11:41:47
Message: <4815f03b@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Has anybody here had a similar experience, and is able to comment?

My only comment is this: I have never seen anyone successfully clean up
a virus infection on a multi-user version of Windows, other than wiping
and reinstalling from scratch. If it turns out it *is* intentionally
malicious software rather than just Windows ;-) I'd suggest you scrounge
up your install disks for everything, unless you only use that machine
for stuff where you wouldn't mind having a key-logger installed.

(For that matter, the three or four times I've seen a UNIX system
compromised, that always got zeroed and reinstalled too, but those were
all work servers with customer data on them and stuff, so you really
couldn't be too careful there.)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"