POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Irony : Re: Irony Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:27:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irony
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Apr 2008 18:26:34
Message: <4811091a$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:43:26 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> It's not a "privilege" to be treated fairly by the courts, or to be
> allowed to live without being hassled by your neighbors, or to avoid
> being beat up for no reason when you walk down the street.

Some might argue, though, that it is if your situation is such that you
are not.  There's the idea (which is what you describe), and then there's
the reality (which many in the US live in every day).  It *shouldn't* be
a privilege, I'd agree with that - it should be something everyone has
access to.

> The idea that you'd want to take these "privileges" away from someone in
> order to be "more fair" is absurd in my mind.

I agree with this.  For example, the way to fix "not everyone is treated
fairly by the courts" is not to make the situation so it reads "everyone
is treated unfairly by the courts".

Jim