POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Irony : Re: Irony Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irony
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 24 Apr 2008 08:21:12
Message: <48107b38$1@news.povray.org>

4810592a@news.povray.org...
>  You claim that a person's history consists of his ancestors' history
> besides his own life. I disagree. Why should it have any effect on your
> actions what your ancestors did or didn't do? Why should your own
> ancestors' actions have more effect on yours than the actions of someone
> else's ancestors?

Everybody is born with some inheritance in the practical form of economic
capital and in the figurative form of social and cultural capital (*). This
capital can be positive (wealth, good networks, education) or negative
(poverty, bad networks, illiteracy) and affects directly your history,
present and future. So while your history does technically start when you're
born, it is shaped (positively or negatively) but what came before, and so
are your actions, like it or not.

It's possible to unclaim some of the assets you were born with (**), but
most of the time you have to live with them (***) and act accordingly.

G.

(*) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_capital
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_capital

(**) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_%28sociology%29