POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Irony : Re: Irony Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irony
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 24 Apr 2008 07:44:11
Message: <4810728b$1@news.povray.org>

48105b19@news.povray.org...
> Gilles Tran <gil### [at] agroparistechfr> wrote:
>> "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> a ?crit dans le message de news:
>> 480fc20a@news.povray.org...

>  That may be, but I was just expressing *my* opinion above. It might not
> be the same as the average opinion of people.

The problem being that in countries where such debates are common, this is
not just the average opinion of people but part of the political platform
for the extreme or no so extreme conservative/right-wing parties that
eventually shape actual policies: taking all the credit for the good things
and "Who, me?" denial for the unsavory stuff, typically acts of genocide,
slavery and colonization that are still an everyday burden for the victims'
descendants. The denial can go even further: in France, the ruling
conservative party just tried to push the idea that colonization was a jolly
good thing after all, too bad the uppity natives didn't like it so we had to
kill thousands of them.

You can somehow see that in sport supporters. When their team wins it's
"their" win and "their" victory - even though they're just a bunch of couch
potatoes - but when it looses it's everybody else's fault but theirs.

G.