POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Irony : Re: Irony Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:14:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irony
From: Warp
Date: 24 Apr 2008 05:51:25
Message: <4810581c@news.povray.org>
I found this opinion on the subject interesting:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/news/?id=1208466459

  On a related note, the prime minister of Sweden bragged some time ago
about how many hundreds of different languages are spoken in Sweden, that
all those languages have a great potential.

  I have the feeling that most multiculturalists seem to have this
utopistic (and naive) notion that the more the languages in some place,
the merrier. That it's a richness if there are people speaking different
languages.

  I fail to see how this is a good thing. Even if all those people understood
and spoke fluently the official language of the country (which many of them
usually don't), I still fail to see the benefits of so many languages. On
the contrary, too many people speaking too many different languages and
not understanding each other only causes problems, monetary problems (which
are usually paid by taxpayers) not being the least of them.

  One may argue that people have the *basic right* to their own language,
to preserve it and to use it, and nobody has the right to force them to
use another language, that it's part of basic human rights. That's fine,
but that's not my point. My point is that most multiculturalists seem to
believe that it's *beneficial* the more the languages are spoken in a
given community. Beneficial to who, and how exactly?

--
                                                          - Warp