POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Irony : Re: Irony Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:12:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irony
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Apr 2008 00:00:29
Message: <481005dd$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:33:31 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Are you saying the native Americans weren't willing to fight to protect
>> their land, or didn't try?  Because if you are, perhaps you should read
>> some early American history.
>
> Before horses and metal weapons, they were really pretty helpless.
> Something like 100 Conquestadors wiped out 10,000 south american
> natives, because the swords went right through the reed "armor", the
> horses could run down anyone who might be running to get reinforcements,
> and the metal armor was immune to the clubs they natives had.
>
> It's a pretty fascinating story, if you track it down.

Yep, living in Utah, we have a holiday called "Pioneer Day", which for
the non-Native Americans is a pretty big deal.  For the Native Americans
who live out here, it's been a day of mourning.

But yes, they didn't really stand a chance because of the technological
differences - that doesn't mean they didn't try or that they weren't
willing to do so.

Of course, European conquest in general is a pretty bloody history.

Jim