POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Irony : Re: Irony Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irony
From: Warp
Date: 23 Apr 2008 19:11:06
Message: <480fc20a@news.povray.org>
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:28:02 -0400, Warp wrote:

> >   Immigration policy should be based on what is the best for the current
> > civilization, not on what happened 100 years ago.

> Absolutely, but what I'm saying is that the people who express *hatred*
> of immigrants have forgotten their history...

  The history of a person started when he was born. His parent's history
is not his. Just because his grand-grandparents made something doesn't
automatically mean that he should agree people today doing the same thing.
Why should he? He's not responsible for what his ancestors did or didn't.

  And as for learning from the past, what can be learn from past
immigration? Let's take, for the sake of example, the past 200 years
of the United States.
  In the context of this thread, what you are basically saying is that
because the ancestors of an American citizen went to America, took some
land, maybe killed a couple of indians along the way, this American
citizen should remember this past and... be lenient towards immigration?
Isn't that quite twisted thinking?
  I don't even see the connection between American immigrants of the
past with what modern Americans should think about immigration. If anything
else, they should feel *negatively* about immigration precisely because
of their past and what their ancestors did.

--
                                                          - Warp