POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Irony : Re: Irony Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:23:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Irony
From: Warp
Date: 23 Apr 2008 18:28:02
Message: <480fb7f2@news.povray.org>
> In the US, a lot of people complain about illegal immigration (and many
> about *legal* immigration), forgetting that if you go back at most 3-4
> generations, we're all pretty much immigrants over here.

  As . pointed out, you made the same mistake as Andrew did: You equate
yourself with your ancestors.

  I'm not saying you are wrong in principle. I'm just saying that you
shouldn't assume things nor generalize. The modern world is different
from the world 100 years ago. What was a good idea back then might not
be a good idea today. As the population, politics and culture change,
so do the needs of the society.
  Just because there was mass immigration 100 years ago, and that mass
immigration formed modern civilizations, that doesn't *automatically*
mean that mass immigration in the *current* world is a good thing.

  I'm not saying it's a bad thing either. I'm just pointing out that
equating ourselves with our ancestors 100 years ago might not be such
a valid argument.

  Immigration policy should be based on what is the best for the current
civilization, not on what happened 100 years ago.

--
                                                          - Warp