POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 25 with Visual C++ Express 2005 : Re: Beta 25 with Visual C++ Express 2005 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 25 with Visual C++ Express 2005
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 22 Apr 2008 15:10:28
Message: <480e3824@news.povray.org>
Christian Froeschlin wrote:

>   So, maybe it should just be "Release" or "Debug" configuration on
>   the platforms "Win32", "Win32 SSE2" and "x64".

Played with this a bit but didn't succeed in doing anything with
a new platform type after creating it in the solution configuration.
However, this might be a limitation of the Express edition.

A very minor point: The "Addition Include Directory" settings for
the povcomp project seem to be in a state where the content is the
same for all configurations, but Visual Studio thinks this is not
so (you notice the field gets blanked for "All configurations").
The problem can be fixed simply by repasting the directory
list into the field after selecting "All configurations".

Having this fixed allows to conveniently add another include path
(e.g. for the boost libraries) to all configurations simultaneously.
I know the README recommends to add boost to the list of global
includes and library path, but it is not the best style to do
this globally if a library is just used for one project.

You might also consider adding $(BOOST_ROOT) to the include
path of all projects, and $(BOOST_ROOT)\Lib to the additional
library paths for povwin. Then, the user would only need to
set the environment variable BOOST_ROOT (and if the user
prefers the old way, a bogus directory in the path
should not have any adverse effect).

I was also going to ask why the startup project is set to
jpeg instead of povwin, but it seems that information is
stored in the *.suo, which is rather braindead, really.
A workaround would be to make povwin physically the
first project in the solution (they still appear
alphabetically in solution explorer). Simply open
povray.sln in Notepad and move the 11 lines from

   Project("{8BC9CEB8-8B4A-11D0-8D11-00A0C91BC942}") = "povwin"

up to and including

   EndProject

to the top, just before the line

   Project("{8BC9CEB8-8B4A-11D0-8D11-00A0C91BC942}") = "jpeg"

Finally, almost silly point: The README mentions you need to
set DISTRIBUTION_MESSAGE_2 "as required" but doesn't state what
is "required". I'd suggest a comment in povray.h like:

// Please set DISTRIBUTION_MESSAGE_2 to your real name to make
// unofficial versions distinguishable from each other. Remove
// the #error directive afterwards to proceed with the build.