POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : rendering of a wobbeling plane : Re: rendering of a wobbeling plane Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rendering of a wobbeling plane
From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 19 Apr 2008 23:26:41
Message: <480ab7f1@news.povray.org>
Larry Hudson wrote:

> Hmmm...  I read atomman's question to mean he wants to use normals to
> the plane to create "wobbles" or undulations and have the objects remain
> in contact with these undulations.  The problem is that normals don't
> create real displacements to the surface, so the plane actually remains
> a totally flat plane, it just has the visual appearance of
> displacements.  So I don't think he can do what he wants by simply using
> normals and this will have to be approached differently -- isosurfaces
> perhaps?
>
> OTOH, maybe I'm the one misreading his question...    ;-)
>
>      -=- Larry -=-

Well, I took it as a wobbling surface, not necessarily a plane, which
could be simulated by placing many objects (spheres or boxes, maybe)
close together, or else built as an isosurface.  In either case, I think
the Lohmueller site might be useful (either for the surface or for
placing the other objects)...but, at the very least, it's got some
really nice pictures.  ;)  And you can always learn stuff there.

--Sherry Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+