POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shadow gap between mesh2 objects : Re: Shadow gap between mesh2 objects Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:14:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shadow gap between mesh2 objects
From: Slime
Date: 9 Apr 2008 12:43:21
Message: <47fcf229@news.povray.org>
> well, it is quite a while since I looked into the POV-sources, but IIRC
> POV
> adds a build in constant value (epsilon?)  when it shoots a shadow test
> ray to
> avoid problems with self shadowing.

Yeah, I think that's what this is. One thing I've been wondering lately is
if it's possible to avoid doing this for objects besides the one the ray is
coming from. So if you hit a sphere, and there's a nearby box, you do
shadow/reflection traces *without* an epsilon, from the exact intersection
point on the sphere. If the trace hits the box, you assume the intersection
is valid. If the trace hits the sphere, you say "hey, this is the same
object we're coming from," and only then do you check the epsilon and
discard the intersection if it's too close.

You could also require that the normal of the intersection is similar to the
normal of the original intersection; this would avoid throwing away
intersections at an "inner corner."

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]