POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shadow gap between mesh2 objects : Re: Shadow gap between mesh2 objects Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:26:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shadow gap between mesh2 objects
From: Ive
Date: 9 Apr 2008 02:40:13
Message: <47fc64cd$1@news.povray.org>
FlyerX,

> I will add scaling to the scene in PoseRay for the upcoming version.

I'm not sure if it is a good idea to add this as a feature to PoseRay.
It does very much depend on the kind of scene/object used. Maybe
a hint in the tips/tricks/faq section is enough. Ok, just speaking for
myself and I'm quite happy with the way it currently works.

> POV-Ray renders the geometry perfectly in the original file. It is the shadows
> that start degrading at small scales.

well, it is quite a while since I looked into the POV-sources, but IIRC POV
adds a build in constant value (epsilon?)  when it shoots a shadow test ray to
avoid problems with self shadowing. Again IIRC there was quite some time
ago a discussion if this value was choosen a bit large - but maybe I'm just
confusing things and anybody with better knowledge of the source may
correct me.

-Ive