POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do? : Re: 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do?
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 8 Apr 2008 15:43:54
Message: <47fbcafa@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:03:31 -0500, Mike the Elder wrote:
>
>> Many thanks to all.
>>
>> My next investment is going to be a second hard drive from which to boot
>> 64 bit Linux.
>
> BTW, you don't need a second hard drive, separate partitions is just fine.

Although it is not actually needed, I would recommend a Linux newbie to
install Linux on a second HD (e.g. 20GB or more).

That's because he might want to boot from the Windows install CD later.
And before doing that it is nice to be able to unplug the Linux HD, so
that Windows does not mess up the boot partition (that Linux uses for
dual booting).

Mike:
When Windows has been set up on the first HD, just plug in the second
HD and let the Linux installation program discover Windows on the first
HD and then set up dual booting from the second HD. That way the boot
sector on first HD will be untouched by Linux and Windows won't notice
that Linux is living alongside it on another HD. (If you now remove the
second HD, Windows will be able to boot itself from the first HD.)

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com