POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : media artefacts when object surfaces come close to eachother : Re: media artefacts when object surfaces come close to eachother Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media artefacts when object surfaces come close to eachother
From: Alain
Date: 8 Apr 2008 13:09:52
Message: <47fba6e0$1@news.povray.org>
Stefaan De Roeck nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/04/07 12:43:
> Hi!
>
> In the povray-code posted below, I'm trying to show two objects composed
> of transparent light emitting material, that intersect eachother, simply
> as an illustration of what the intersection should look like (first
> object red, second green, in the intersection both colors are emitted
> simultaneously).
>
> This seems to work great, except when the surfaces of both objects come
> close to eachother.  Rendering the code should show some sort of cross
> composed of areas/pixels that are either fully red or green.  It is as
> if the rays only see the entrance into one of both objects, and the
> other object is disregarded.  Rendering with anti-aliasing partly hides
> the problems where they weren't too large in the first place, but the
> cross is still very visible.
>
> Is there an easy solution for this?  (I suppose it's an accuracy
> problem, not a real bug)
>
> Many thanks,
> Stefaan

Problems with floating point rounding errors.
An easy solution:
Scale your scene by 100 and divide the density by 100 and the cross is almost
gone. Increase that to 1000 and you no longer see the artefacts.

A question: Why use a lathe when you have the cone primitive?

--
Alain
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when