POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bevelled extruded shapes and text : Re: Bevelled extruded shapes and text Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:33:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bevelled extruded shapes and text
From: Simone
Date: 3 Apr 2008 16:50:42
Message: <47f55132$1@news.povray.org>
tiresias schrieb:
> On closer inspection, it seems that Elefont's povray output uses a triangle
> mesh.
>
> With Elefont's maximum curve subdivision setting, this looks OK for smaller
> rendered images, but even for TV screen sized images (720x480) you can see the
> joins in the facets around the extruded faces. For large format images I don't
> think this is good enough.
>
> I seem to recall many years ago using Moray. Bezier curves "drawn" and extruded
> in Moray were output with extruded faces as "smooth_triangle" which gave lovely
> smooth faces with no seams at all because the triangles had surface normals at
> each apex.
>
> Moray or other GUI front ends have probably come a long way over the years. Are
> there any that can import shapes from truetype or windows metafile (or any
> other vector based file), and export to POV as SMOOTH triangles where
> necessary?

OK, this answer is probably a bit too late for your project, but I read
your post just today when I googled for a way to make or import bevelled
text in povray that looks good.

After I've tried some other programs I finally used Blender.
  ttf (True Type fonts)  files can be imported. (I think other vector
based files can be imported too but I don't know how.) An instruction
how to create text and edit with blender can be found here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Text

I then exported the blender file to 3ds and then converted the 3ds with
Poseray to Pov.

The result looks very smooth even in high resolution images.

Regards,
Simone