POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do? : Re: 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do?
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 28 Mar 2008 19:18:42
Message: <47ed8ae2$1@news.povray.org>
William Tracy wrote:
> Larry Hudson wrote:
>
>> For my secondary drive I use removable drives.  I have three different
>> drives I can plug in (only one at a time, of course).
>>  (I like to play with different Linux distros...    :-)
>

> Are we talking about USB drives? What's the price/specs? :-)

No, they're IDE drives.  The way this works is that the drives are
mounted inside holders that plug in and out of an adapter in the
computer.  They have a lock that is both a physical lock (so they can't
be unplugged accidentally) and a power switch (for that drive).  Of
course, you only swap them when the computer power is off.

As to size/price -- mine are all 120GB, and IIRC the price was somewhere
around $70-$80 (US).  But I also have an external 200GB USB I use mostly
for backups and music files.  (These music files are mostly MP3s I have
made from my rather large (and old) collection of LPs.  Still working on
converting more, however.  I might even finish someday.)   ;-)

> It's been a while since I last got adventurous with Linux distros (I
> settled into Ubuntu and Debian) but I might give it another go sometime.

If you _really_ want to get adventurous, check out LFS -- Linux From
Scratch (linuxfromscratch.org).  With this you install EVERYTHING by
compiling from source!  I tried it once but ran into some problems
(probably my own fault) and didn't get it completed.  But I do intend to
try again sometime.  It's a very interesting project.  As I said in my
earlier post -- I'm weird and geeky.     ;-)

However, I primarily use Fedora.  I think I would go with Debian as my
second choice, but Ubuntu is good too.

> While I'm drifting off topic :-) does anybody know how well Windows
> tolerates having applications installed to removable media? I've been
> looking at one of those newfangled flash-based laptops for a family
> member, but I don't know if she can fit all her software into four gigs.
> :-(

Yep, really OT...  I don't think there would be any problems.  If you
try to run a program that's on a drive that's not currently plugged in,
Windows would just come up with its 'scanning-flashlight, searching'
box.  But it shouldn't harm anything.  In Windows, I use my swappable
hard drives mostly for data only, but I have a few programs on them
which run with no problems.

      -=- Larry -=-