POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 16-bit grayscale PNGs -> PoV-Ray 16-bit heightfield TGAs? : Re: 16-bit grayscale PNGs -> PoV-Ray 16-bit heightfield TGAs? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:14:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 16-bit grayscale PNGs -> PoV-Ray 16-bit heightfield TGAs?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 28 Mar 2008 03:08:34
Message: <47eca782$1@news.povray.org>

> A more enlightened reading of Jaime's original post tells me that I was
> completely confused about what he meant (and I probably confused others by my
> question.) It's clear now; he was describing a solution to the question in the
> original post, a technique for taking a 16-bit .png image and re-rendering it to
> be a different file type, one that could be used to make a 16-bit HF in case the
> ..png image itself didn't work.

   Sorry, I forgot to say you should use TGA output: I assumed this was
obvious...

> But as others have said, a 16-bit .png image works as-is.

   Seems so... but I had to use this conversion to TGA for my "hf2iso"
include, as I was having problems when using 16bit PNGs that I didn't
understand. These magically disappeared when using TGAs... perhaps due to
another reasons, I must admit.

--
Jaime