POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do? : Re: 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:28:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 27 Mar 2008 14:18:53
Message: <47ebf31d@news.povray.org>

> Actually, I like the idea. I've wanted to learn more about Linux for a while
> now.

   I can recommend that: learning is always a Good Thing.

> Can the Linux 64 and XP-Pro 32 live happily on the same machine? (I can't afford
> a second machine right now.) ... a second partition? ... a second hard drive?

  AFAIK, there is no reason to think that they will interfere with each
other. Indeed a second hard drive could be easier to manage at install time
than partitions. The only problem I could think about is sharing files
between XP and Linux: I didn't check recently, but I remember the NTFS
support on Linux was read-only when I tried some years ago.

> (As much as I would be "proud to be Micro$oft free", I'm in the middle of too
> many Windows based projects to do a cold turkey switch.)

   That's understandable... back on the early 90's I had dual boot for some
years until I decided to format the W98 partition.

   Good luck with it in any case... and my condolences for the deceased
machine.

--
Jaime