POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do? : Re: 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 64 or 32.. what to do, what to do?
From: Ger
Date: 27 Mar 2008 13:56:18
Message: <47ebedd1@news.povray.org>
Mike the Elder wrote:

> William Tracy <wtr### [at] calpolyedu> wrote:
>> Mike the Elder wrote:
>> > I can
>> > later, if I choose, have the system converted to a dual boot system
>> > with the option of starting in 32 or 64 for approximately an additional
>> > $200.00 USD.
>>
>> Let me throw out another idea for you to consider: Make the 64-bit OS
>> Linux.
>
> Actually, I like the idea. I've wanted to learn more about Linux for a
> while now.
> Can the Linux 64 and XP-Pro 32 live happily on the same machine? (I can't
> afford a second machine right now.) ... a second partition? ... a second
> hard drive?

You can do either, Linux is happy living on a second partition or second
hardrive. And once you install Linux it will create the boot menu for you
so at boot you can select which way you want to go.

I'm running 64bit Suse Linux for quite some time now on an AMD DX2 and
haven't had any trouble with it other then me messing it up with test
stuff.
Povray on 64bit gives some speed increase but don't expect wonders. What it
does do however is give you limitless memory. I have run renders upto 20GB
memory use.

> (As much as I would be "proud to be Micro$oft free", I'm in the middle of
> too many Windows based projects to do a cold turkey switch.)
>
> Thanks,
> Mike C.

For the "MS free" bit you could check out Wine, which is a Windows emulator
on Linux. Works pretty well but does not replace Windows completely.
--
Ger