POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Backup : Re: Backup Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Backup
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 26 Mar 2008 12:49:20
Message: <47ea8ca0$1@news.povray.org>
>> And how many of them are "Windows NT doesn't support this model of tape
>> drive"?
>
> Very few, as NT is out of support now. ;-)

Tell me about it...

>> What, you mean like the way the entire Windows user shell locks up
>> completely for several seconds every time you close the CD tray?
>> [Seriously, have these people never *heard* of threading?!]
>
> I've seen that a few times, but it's been a while since I don't run
> Windows natively any more.

Same thing happens if you accidentally click on A: by mistake. Entire
Windows shell locks up for a few seconds while it repeatedly polls the
device until it's quite sure there's no disk there. *sigh*

>> BE just seems to be very bad at handling any kind of problem that might
>> crop up. If everything goes perfectly, BE is happy. If the tiniest thing
>> goes wrong, it gets all upset and won't do anything any more...
>
> Well, if something goes wrong with backup software, arguably you WANT it
> to tell you and not complete its task.  After all, an incomplete backup
> isn't much use to anyone with a dead system.

No, but when I give it a new tape and tell it to restart the backup
operation, it would be damn useful if it would start *doing* the backup
rather than just sitting there looking at me! :-S

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/