POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Backup : Re: Backup Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Backup
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Mar 2008 12:41:20
Message: <47ea8ac0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:26:14 +0000, Orchid XP v7 wrote:

>>> Well, apart from the general level of difficulty of getting any SCSI
>>> device to work properly in the first place,
>>
>> Not difficult at all, as long as the bus is properly terminated.  90%
>> of all SCSI issues are improperly terminated buses.  10% are probably
>> mismatched SCSI technologies (speed, etc).
>
> And how many of them are "Windows NT doesn't support this model of tape
> drive"?

Very few, as NT is out of support now. ;-)

>>> it *is* quite annoying how
>>> every single damn time BE has any kind of problem, it refuses to
>>> respond to any user input until you forcibly terminate all its
>>> services. I don't know *why* they bothered having a "cancel job"
>>> button; it never ever works!
>>
>> Well, if the problem is a hardware-related problem, that kinda makes
>> sense - the system has to wait for the hardware to respond.  I don't
>> think any backup program would work properly if there was a hardware
>> issue...
>
> What, you mean like the way the entire Windows user shell locks up
> completely for several seconds every time you close the CD tray?
> [Seriously, have these people never *heard* of threading?!]

I've seen that a few times, but it's been a while since I don't run
Windows natively any more.

> BE just seems to be very bad at handling any kind of problem that might
> crop up. If everything goes perfectly, BE is happy. If the tiniest thing
> goes wrong, it gets all upset and won't do anything any more...

Well, if something goes wrong with backup software, arguably you WANT it
to tell you and not complete its task.  After all, an incomplete backup
isn't much use to anyone with a dead system.

Jim