POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : RIP Gary Gygax : Re: RIP Gary Gygax Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RIP Gary Gygax
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Mar 2008 11:16:51
Message: <47ea76f3$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Well, I probably would have done so as well, or used awk if it was a mass
> change.

Oddly enough, once I griped about it here, for some reason the program
completely stopped annoying me. It suddenly seems to work wonderfully
intuitively.  Either I stopped doing what was bothering me, or my brain
rewired to understand the underlying behavior of the program correctly. :-)

> Shift+Del and Shift+Ins, not CTRL-C and CTRL-V.

That's another annoyance. I have different keyboards, and only one of
the INS keys works for insertion. Or it's a numlock problem or something.

> I'm pretty sure that it's that there's more than one.  I've noticed a few
> instances where exiting an application clears the buffer.  Like Firefox,
> for instance.  That drives me a little crazy.

Yeah. X's cut/paste buffer management is really pretty screwy. As I
understand it, as long as the application is open that put the "clip" in
the clip buffer, other apps ask that app directly for the data, so it
doesn't get buffered twice. When the app exits, it's supposed to put it
onto the "real" clip buffer.

Some programs work that way, and those are the ones that override
another program's clip when they get focus and have something selected.
Others always just put the clip on the clipboard. Etc.

> I don't know that I follow - you mean like a tinyurl redirector?

Like that, but an error message.
http://wikipedia.org/search-redirect.php?searchInput=xyzzy

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)