POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : You know you've been tracing too long when... : Re: You know you've been tracing too long when... Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: You know you've been tracing too long when...
From: scott
Date: 26 Mar 2008 06:15:11
Message: <47ea303f$1@news.povray.org>
>> It's probably not turbo lag, more the fact that the turbo doesn't work
>> properly until around 2200 rpm and the throttle is very heavily damped by
>> the ECU.
>
> Still I'd say there's something wrong.

Well I don't know, I've only got it for another 6 weeks then it's getting
replaced.  It's only done 60000km and has been serviced properly at the
right times by the official Opel dealer, so I think it's probably a
"feature" of the car ;-)

I get the feeling the car is designed to be comfortable to drive, not to be
very responsive.  Even if you sit at 2500rpm in 2nd gear, if you jump on the
accelerator pedal you don't get any jolt of acceleration because the ECU
smoothes out the throttle input, I'd say with a time constant of about 0.5
seconds.  In some cars you can push the accelerator pedal up and down
quickly and the car responds instantly with forward and back jolts, but not
this car.

> Turbocharger actually removes some torque from the really-low revs ('bout
> <1500rpm), after that it starts to wake up and gets torque much higher
> than with naturally aspirated engine.

Makes sense.

> After driving 6 years with turbocharged cars, I wouldn't even think about
> naturally aspirated one :p - once I got used to the sub-rev torqueloss,
> I've just let myself enjoy the long and stable torque (expect for the
> Audi, which has only a short spike of torque, but it's cheap to drive,
> so...).

Give me a turbocharged petrol car and now we're talking :-)  I think the
basic problem is that a turbo makes the engine only usable above certain
rpms, and diesel makes the engine only usable below certain rpms.  So the
combination of turbo diesel is a bit of a disaster compared to normally
aspirated petrol.