POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Canon camera hack : Re: Canon camera hack Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Canon camera hack
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Mar 2008 17:04:46
Message: <47e976fe$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:34:35 -0300, Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> Gilles Tran escribió:
>> The hacks adds some neat additional features like RAW files,[...]
>  >
>> Of course, more expensive models and SLRs can do that, but it's nice to
>> get some high-end features on such cheap models.
>
> RAW files isn't a high-end feature. That is what Canon wants you to
> believe.
>
> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/antifeatures

Using RAW files is an advanced usage of the camera, though - I don't
disagree with the FSF article, but I never considered it an advanced
feature per se, but rather an advanced usage because you need software
that can understand raw files.  But if you have such software (like the
Gimp with UFRAW, which is what I tend to use), you have a lot more
control over exposure settings and whatnot if the capture was bad.  What
I wish was that the "auto" mode on my powershot S50 was capable of saving
the RAW output - I tend to use RAW a lot, but have to do so using manual
settings, which makes it take longer to configure the camera settings.
If I could do auto-everything except sending it through the JPEG
compressor, I'd be a happy guy.

A friend of mine showed me his camera last week - it actually saves both
RAW and JPEG - makes sense that it could, since it has to have the raw
data in order to generate the jpeg image - it just saves off the raw data
as well.

Jim