POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lighting problem at extreme distances : Re: Lighting problem at extreme distances Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting problem at extreme distances
From: Warp
Date: 25 Mar 2008 06:40:41
Message: <47e8e4b9@news.povray.org>
> Hmm... Looks like there are some C++ wrappers around MPFR that would
> make it quite simpler. And when I say simpler, I mean that in many
> cases, replacing 'double' with 'mpfr_class' would be all (who said
> operator overloading was bad?)

  There may be wrappers, but are they efficient?

  For such a wrapper to be efficient it would require its own allocator
(afaik. with most unlimited floating point libraries initializing a
floating point value is a heavy operation, so it is recommended to
reuse already-initialized values which are no longer used whenever possible
instead of always initializing new ones) and some type of copy-on-write
mechanism or such (to avoid the huge overhead related to copying/assignment
which would otherwise exist).

--
                                                          - Warp