POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Feeling the pinch yet? : Re: Feeling the pinch yet? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feeling the pinch yet?
From: scott
Date: 25 Mar 2008 05:48:19
Message: <47e8d873@news.povray.org>
People are a certain size, air has a certain density, and people want to go
a certain speed, this fixes the constant power a car needs to be able to
produce to around 25 kW.  Higher peak values might be needed to get
acceptable acceleration and hill-climbing performance.

People want their car to go a certain distance between being "refueled"
whatever that might mean, that fixes the amount of energy a car needs to
carry onboard to about 1000 MJ.

Now look up the various ways of storing energy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

Note the "energy density" column, which is how much mass you need to store
that energy.  For our 1000 MJ we would need to carry around in our car:

7 kg of liquid hydrogen
22 kg of petrol/diesel
2 tons of flywheel
3 tons of Li-Ion batteries