POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Black spots in media : Re: Black spots in media Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black spots in media
From: Alain
Date: 24 Mar 2008 13:34:30
Message: <47e7f436$1@news.povray.org>
Maxime Marrow nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/03/23 18:13:

>> This will guive you the same total number of samples as your current
>> setting.
>> Should be a lot faster to.
>> Media defaults: method 3, samples 3, intervals 1.
>
> These values contradict the values in the POV-Ray help (POV-Ray version
> 3.6.1c.icl8.win32). The default values for media in the help are: method
> 3, samples 1, 1, intervals 10.
>

> Thanks for this advice,
> Maxime

I know that there is a contradiction. The values of samples 1,1 intervals 10
where valid with version 3.5 when the default was method 1. (at the time, it was
the only sampling method available)

Now, the default is method 3. Method 3 require at least samples 3 and ignore any
second samples value: samples 3,7 is the same as samples 3. The default
intervals also changed from 10 to 1.
With method 3, it's beter to increase samples. Increasing intervals greatly
increase the rendering time.
If needed, method 3 can dynamicaly create more intervals.

samples 300 // fast.

samples 3 intervals 100 // very slow, no quality gain.

Both have the same final number of samples. The first can give beter results.

--
Alain
At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry.